Noticing Early Signs of AutismIf you think that you or someone you love may be autistic, you'll probably have noticed certain symptoms. Perhaps you've observed a lack of eye contact, difficulty with social relationships, speech delays, or odd physical behaviors such as rocking, finger flicking or toe walking. These are the "red flags" that suggest something might be wrong -- and that something might be autism.
- Early Signs of Autism
- What Are the Signs of Autism in Children?
- Autism May Be Diagnosable at Birth
- Should I Wait to Have My Child Diagnosed with Autism?
Selecting a Professional to Screen for and Diagnose AutismOnce you've determined that something may be amiss, it's a good idea to seek a professional to screen for autism. The "right" professional may be a psychologist, a developmental pediatrician or a pediatric neurologist -- but the most important criteria is that the expert you choose has experience with and knowledge of autism spectrum disorders.
- Who Should Diagnose Autism Spectrum Disorders?
- Can Teachers Diagnose Autism?
- Autism: Seeking A Diagnosis
- Autism Specialists 101
How Do Professionals Screen for and Diagnose Autism?Because autism cannot be diagnosed with a medical test, screening and diagnosis involves interviews, observation and evaluations. Even when a professional provides an opinion, the opinion may be couched in such terms as "it LOOKS like a pervasive developmental disorder, but your child doesn't have all the symptoms of autism." While this kind of uncertainty can be extremely frustrating, it's sometimes unavoidable -- and even clearcut autism diagnoses can change over time.
After the Autism DiagnosisFor many families, an autism diagnosis can be overwhelming. It seems to change everything, and it can affect your relationship with your spouse, your friends, and your child. But your child is still the person he or she always was -- and there's plenty of help, hope and support available.
- What to Do After the Autism Diagnosis
- What If...? Getting Past Blame and Worry to Help Your Autistic Child
- Top Ten Autism Sites
- Joining the Autism Community
- Explore other symptoms of autism with the Autism Symptoms Checklist
- Learn about different Types of Autism
- Find out How Doctors Screen for and Diagnose Autism
-> -> -> Has your child been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder? Now is the right time to Choose Autism Treatments