1. Health

Autism Versus "Autism-Like" Symptoms: What's the Difference?

By June 19, 2008

This is a question that's been bugging me ever since 9-year-old Hannah Poling's family received a settlement from the Vaccine Court. Evidently the combination of an underlying mitochondrial disorder and an unsually large number of vaccines led to "autism-like features" for which, it was agreed, the Polings should be compensated.

Just yesterday, David Kirby wrote this in the Age of Autism blog:

...Dr. Julie Gerberding and others took to the airwaves to proclaim that Hannah’s case was, 1) Extremely rare, 2) An inherited, genetic condition that would have lead to regressive encephalopathy anyway, and 3) Without any bearing on the etiology of ASD or any relationship whatsoever to the court’s other cases of autism (which Hannah did not have, we were falsely told: She just had “autism like features.”)

...On March 29, Gerberding told CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta that, “If a child was immunized, got a fever, had other complications from the vaccines, and (is) pre-disposed with the mitochondrial disorder, it can certainly set off some damage…. Some of these symptoms can be symptoms that have characteristics of autism. I think we have to have an open mind about this.”

Kirby's special interest is in the causes of these "autistic-like features." Mine, though, is in the definition of autism - which, it seems, is somewhat more up for grabs than I'd realized.

Here's my reasoning:

With the exception of Fragile X and Rett syndrome, both of which are capable of diagnosis through genetic tests, there are no biological tests for autism. In fact, in the diagnostic manual (called the DSM-IV), Autism Spectrum Disorders and Asperger syndrome are described entirely on the basis of their symptoms (or "features").

It seems to me, therefore, that if a person has autism-like symptoms, that person can reasonably be diagnosed as... autistic.

But what if we know that, for example, that individual was perfectly typical until he fell and hit his head - and that the autistic symptoms were brought on by brain damage? Is that person still autistic? Or do we now describe that person as "brain damaged with autism-like symptoms?"

Or...what if the autistic symptoms existed UNTIL the person stopped eating grain - and it became clear that the autistic symptoms were caused by a food intolerance? Is this person to be described as "gluten intolerant" - or as "recovered from autism?"

I've been asking experts for an opinion; so far I haven't received a solid, quotable response.

What's your opinion? Is there a difference between "autism-like symptoms" and autism? If so - how is it defined?

Comments
June 19, 2008 at 6:52 pm
(1) val says:

Rett syndrome isn’t autism
My daughter right now is being classified as autistic like because while she has autistic symptoms she misses some core symptoms such as the inability to look people in the eye.
She could still have autism. They keep changing their mind with assmeant.
Dyspraxia/apraxia also a set of symptoms can be confused for autism or add

June 19, 2008 at 7:37 pm
(2) Angela says:

Hi everyone,
My personal thought on this matter is that the CDC is still trying to cover things up. The CDC doesn’t want to admit that the vaccines do indeed cause Autism, instead they keep saying that if a child is recovering from their symthomns that they never really had Autism. Autism is a disorder that effect several things, including gastro problems most atistic children can not tolerate some foods, casin(dairy) gluten(wheat)just because we take these food away and the child’s gastro problems improves doesn’t mean that they are not really Autistic, 1 thing that everyone has to remember is that Autism affects every one differently and Autism Spectrum is a very large umbrella.

June 19, 2008 at 8:36 pm
(3) Wade Rankin says:

Leaving aside the issues of Retts and Fragile X, “autism” is not so much a distinct and identifiable condition as it is a descriptive term for a constellation of symptoms. If there are sufficient symptoms to call them “autism-like,” one is, by definition, autistic.

The concession’s language draws a distinction without a difference.

June 20, 2008 at 1:25 am
(4) val says:

Well either my daughter is autistic and I was blessed with the home with the home based therapies I chose.
I do suspect genetics because after her first assmeant I found several of my family members hand language problems.

June 20, 2008 at 2:59 am
(5) Val says:

Edited what I said
Well either my daughter is autistic and I was blessed with the home based therapies I chose or she has something else and maybe both. I hope she makes even more gains.
I do suspect genetics because after her first assmeant I found several of my family members had language problems.

June 20, 2008 at 8:38 am
(6) Sandy says:

Retts and fragile X are within the PDD’s- just as Asperger’s is. The only difference is there’s a genetic test for those two identified. One day there’ll probably be genetic tests for all the rest as well.

Many things display autism-like behaviors, many other disorder’s too. Autism is diagnosed by observation of behaviors, which would leave the door open for interpretation of those behaviors depending on who was doing the observation. It is also said we all have some autistic-like behaviors. The key is how debilitating it is for the person/ child who has it.

My nephew had a traumatic brain injury (TBI) at age 20 and my brother in law had a heart attack and was oxygen deprived for 6 minutes at age 40. Both survived, both will never be the same. Both upon meeting, you could easily mistake for an autism disorder, both acquired sensory disorder’s, cognitive issues, repetitive behaviors, language difficulties and social, wanders away and in his own world often.
When my nephew had his TBI, I never gave it much thought and my son wasn’t born. When my brother in law had the heart attack everyone in that family noticed the similarities to my son, more so the wife and we had a nice conversation.

What is interesting his how the lack of oxygen resulted in many of the things my son experiences, only my son never had injury or lack of oxygen.

Autism is a spectrum and it does effect each differently however autism doesn’t include other medical related symptoms like GI issues. Sensitivity to foods could be like any other co-morbid. It’s untrue to say most children with autism cant tolerate some foods. I know plenty who have no issue at all and probably know more people w/o autism that do. My son does not have food intolerance’s but he does have GI issues, medically diagnosed and unrelated to autism. His is a genetic disorder that other members of our family also have. It’s a co-morbid. Some of these things are industry induced interventions. If a child is ‘recovering’ from their symptom’s then it would be true they never had autism. If given a diet change, but still has autism, then there is no reason to ever use the word recovered.

June 20, 2008 at 10:38 am
(7) Todd says:

Until the various forms of autism (10-50 possibilites) can be separated into genetic and/or enviornmental conditions such as fragile x syndrome (www.fragilex.org – get tested!), autism diagnosis will continue to be a symptomatic diagnosis.

But with states offering additional speech therapies and other help to autistic families; I’ll jump on the autism train for my fragile x son!

Please press your goverment representatives for more medical research.

June 26, 2008 at 12:38 am
(8) Auti-Land Mommy says:

Autism is a diagnosis defined as stated under the DSM IV criteria. If a child meets the categorical requirements for the 299.00 diagnosis for Autism, then that’s the diagnosis they will get if you can prove it. Some say if a child has eye contact that means they’re not autistic and this is FALSE. This one of the some twenty traits you may see in autistic children, under category A(1). My daughter will look you in the eyes fleetingly, but will never look at you to speak or engage you beyond just looking in your direction. HOWEVER, if a child displays autistic traits under the same criteria defined by 299.00, but NOT all traits are present to meet the categorical requirements, the child receives a diagnosis of either PDD-NOS for those in the medical community that even know what that means or a diagnosis of “autistic like traits”. Some may meet the criteria for Asperger’s under 299.80 (http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html's under) if they have language, but not developmentally appropriate social skills.

You are correct, in that, MANY medical conditions can display “autistic like traits”, as many of these traits are similar to ADHD, SPD, OCD, and even childhood schizophrenia. All the aforementioned being non-gentically proven conditions, unlike Fragile X and Rhett’s. HOWEVER, they have TWO main differences; communication and social skill deficits.

See how confused the medical profession is, now imagine being the parent of a child you are supposed to advocate for to get treatment and help each second, but NOBODY can reach a consensus on a diagnosis! My daughter has been diagnosed all over the map; PDD-NOS, ADHD, Autism, SPD, OCD like features and get this NEUROTYPICAL! It is all dependent on who you ask! I had one pediatrician that stated it was perfectly normal that she was walking into walls and tripping on air at 2 years old, because she was JUST learning to walk! Umm, okay. She started walking 2 days after her first birthday, doctor! Oh and she lost her speech because, yes, you guessed it: SHE’s JUST LEARNING TO SPEAK!

My daughter was regressive and I think almost all cases nowadays are. My belief is that regressive autism is not genetic and purely environmental and commonly confused with Kanner’s Syndrome/Autism b/c the traits are almost identical. However, I think the children considered low functioning have a type of autism that is not related to the others. In fact, I think regressive autism is the evolution of ADHD and SPD MIXED. If you look at both conditions separately and then imagine combining them together and what would you have: mild to moderately affected autistic children! I also feel it is environmental, as many of these children are “recovering” and their “traits” are diminishing over time as their bodies heal. HOWEVER, I also believe those children that continue with their vaccinations into kindergarten are the kiddos that will be moderate to low functioning maybe for life, as their bodies become overloaded. I think ABA is just catching the kids early at 2-5 before their 2nd MMR and that’s why we’re seeing so much success. Once a family steps in with treatments options the child begins to feel better and ABA helps bring the child back to their age appropriate developmental level. But non all the damage form the vaccines can be reversed, so some kids still have residual traits that may or may not need to be worked on.

I’d LOVE to see a study or survey of kids that went on to be recovered or considered mild that did NOT continue on with the 5 and up vaccines versus those that did, but also had all the other interventions. I know personally I met another mom that was doing EXACTLY the same types of interventions for her son, but she continued the shots and after his 2nd MMR he regressed and nothing is really working to get him verbal now! There is something there folks, wake up and smell the brain frying! It’s not just the mercury, but I think it’s the viruses themselves!

Unfortunately, until the medical community gets their act together our kids will continue to be mis-labeled and pay the price forever. They will also continue on with shots and more and more kids will be sick!

Just a parents perspective.

June 26, 2008 at 9:24 am
(9) Jen says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this Lisa! I’ve said for a long time that there is a difference between true autism and autistic-like behaviors. In my way of thinking, you are born with autism. A few of us in my family are affected by some sort of PDD- I myself have a “scorching” case of ADD (scorching is my husband’s word!), so I have no doubt that my son’s pdd-nos is genetic. He was definitely different from day 1. No regression other than he stopped waving, that did not coincide with the MMR. And he was dyspraxic, so he never had language to lose. But those with regression due to vaccinations are probably affected by “leaky-gut syndrome,” (google it) where the gut is actually permeable so those things that the kids are intolerant to (casein and gluten) are roaming their bodies. The MMR, measles in particular, opens the blood-brain barrier and allows those toxins to enter the brain causing AUTISTIC-LIKE SYMPTOMS!!! That’s why you hear of “cures” with diet- IT’S NOT TRUE AUTISM! Please forgive my shouting. I do wish that there was some pre-vaccine screening to test for leaky-gut before a child receives a vaccine, the “autism” rate would drop dramatically if those kids didn’t get a vaccine, of course they would then be at risk for the MMR diseases.

By the way, did anyone see the ABC news clip and article about a brain-scan to test for autism and other learning disabilities? A guy in California is doing them and it looks promising. Of course with how slowly the medical community accepts new info, we probably won’t see it done widespread for years to come…

June 26, 2008 at 9:34 am
(10) autism says:

Jen – it’s interesting: you’re not alone in feeling that “true” autism is something you’re born with. but an awful lot of people are able to show regression after which a child is diagnosed with autism.

I guess the big question is – are those children who regressed suffering from something which can, in fact, be treated and resolved? and if so, is that “something” autism – or something else? If it IS something else, what IS it – and are all of those children suffering from the same “something?”

I’ll check into the ABC story you mentioned!

Lisa (autism guide)

June 26, 2008 at 9:53 am
(11) Ayden's Mom says:

Auti-Land Mommy………..you are SO right on!!! I agree 100% with your entire post!!!

My son regressed within weeks of his 15 month shots (7 vaccines at once)…..he went from being on target or ahead of all milestones to a “shell” of a person. With ABA, ST, OT and other therapies, he is coming back…….we have a long way to go still but I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER allow anyone to vaccinate my child ever again!!! And….if I have more children (not sure we can afford more since Autism drains a family financially) I won’t vaccinate those children either…even though the pediatricians are now being told to educate us on how selfish and self-centered we are in addition to ‘dropping’ us as a patient!! http://www.vaccineawakening.blogspot.com/

I look forward to the day when the government can no longer brush this under the rug — they KNOW what’s going on……..and I will fight until my last breath to get them to own up to what these vaccines are doing to our children.

God Bless all of you — Autism is tough, people are judgmental and advocating for our children is an uphill battle all the way…. May we all go out there and bring about change to legislation and society!!

June 26, 2008 at 12:18 pm
(12) Adi says:

I’m an autistic person. My brain is not damaged, I have no food intolerances, I am not poisoned by any environmental element and my genes are just fine. I am currently at Autreat, a conference for people on the autistic spectrum, and this is something that came up in a discussion last night. The primary attribute that all autistic people seem to share would be sensory sensitivities (light, sound, tactile, smell, taste, sometimes sensitivities with regards to food and digestion and even in some a sensitivity to emotions or underlying feelings between people, an area or an environment). This is just not even present in the DSMIV, despite it being the core instigator of certain so-called autistic behaviour (e.g. having sensory overloads or meltdowns, or being calmed by looking at the light reflecting through a crystal).

If a person is brain damaged or has an underlying condition that can be diagnosed, medically, that is not autism, it is something else.

Autism is a way of being, it is a way of thinking and perceiving things, it is a preference of interaction and it is unique for each individual. I’m sorry if it gives parents such grief and trouble while we are small, but please try to work with it, accept it, and the rewards will be there. Work with the sensory sensitivities and expect your child to one day be independent because that child has certain abilities that will enable that. Be aware of the disabilities, see them for what they are (usually a disablement through society) and keep fighting for your child to have a right to be who they are in this world.

June 26, 2008 at 1:07 pm
(13) jen says:

Adi- that’s what I’m sayin’! We’ve had Kyle in therapies from 22 months on to deal with the sensory issues and social training- he’s doing extremely well with low-dose anti-anxiety meds, tantruming has all but stopped and he tolerates noise and crowds much better, and this allows him to do better in school. But he’s sooo bright- we believe he is who he is for a reason and we don’t want to change him- we just want to help him be more comfortable in this world so he can lead a productive and happy life, whatever that will be FOR HIM, not for us. If he wants to be a cartoonist- great. A doctor- great. A chess player- great. An inventor- great. As long as he’s happy, and independent to the best of his ability. If that means living alone or with us, doesn’t matter. Thanks for comment!

June 26, 2008 at 1:23 pm
(14) Melissa Parrish says:

I think this discussion particularly interesting in light of the growing number
of “celebrity parents” who have claimed that
their children have “recovered” from autism
after a particular intervention (usually dietary and/or biomedical. This can be really
misleading and sometimes disheartened for parents who haven’t tried those things for
a variety of reasons and wonder is there something that they are not doing that could
“cure” their child. Lumping all children
into the autistic category if they have behavioral characteristics that can disappear
after a immediate intervention, clearly it’s
not the same as other kids with autism.
Families are already out there spinning their
wheels, trying to figure out what will help their child, it’s helpful if we know that there is a difference between “autistic like
symptoms” and autism…it helps families feel
a little less emotional, frustrated and hopeless. Unfortunately, financial resources
access to specialized doctors and alternatives
for intervention are still related to money,
who you know, and how much time parents are able to give to navigating the very tight autism community circle. It’s a lot, the more
you know about what you are dealing with the better. We need better work with diagnosis,
synthesizing intervention strategies and not
portraying interventions as a one size fits all type of strategy…the danger is false hope for a cure, this can be an emotional see saw

June 26, 2008 at 1:54 pm
(15) Christinna says:

I think that Autism has a biological component for sure , it seems to have something to do with the things ingested by our children. I also think many parents have learned a lot about themselves by having kids with autism. Our allergies and intolerances. It is overwhelming to look at some of the diets that have been created but I do know when I take away some foods my son craves (bread, sweets) for my son he seems to talk better instantly. There have been times when doctors have said to me that my son was not autistic on that certain day. She actually told me to have him reevaluated because there must have been some mistake in his diagnosis! Something seemed odd through the years. Sometimes when my son would take a nap which hardly ever happened because normally he would only sleep about four hours a night when he was younger. Even still to this day he doesn’t sleep long but when he does he seems more with it. Sometimes I am blown away at his conversation skills and on other days he is way out there. He can seems unable to talk rationally, he gets stuck in self talk, he gets hung up on thoughts. But then the next day he is talking so normal I just sit there and look at him in amazement. I know this is real and I used to tell people this and they would think I was nuts…a mom who is desperate. I still see this odd happening to this day and he is 19. But he did graduate from high school and he is happy and I do feel optimistic for the future. I know good things are happening out there for our kids…and we need to stay or get hopeful. I also think the umbrella that everyone talks about is very large and includes so many kinds of symptoms that it is over whelming. I try not to get hung up on the diagnosis just the symptoms and handle one at a time. The main thing is my son is growing and doesn’t have many of the same habits he once did. It is getting better. I tell people all the time if I knew what I know now I would have slept more and drank less!

June 27, 2008 at 9:11 am
(16) MyBellavia says:

This topic hits home for my son. Thomas was diagnosed at 15 months as PDD/NOS. The neurologist told us after the results of his MRI, that he was autistic. He was put in a preschool program for autistic kids. He was the only verbal child in the class. Within four years, he regressed to the point that he was unable to attend school at all. Because of the regression, the neurologist ordered a repeat MRI. The results we were told showed no significant changes. It showed only the “original brain injury”. I immediately said “what brain injury”. We were told he had two small scars in his brain, caused by lack of O2 shortly before birth. We were never given this information at the first MRI. Because of this, he was eligible for placement in a school for brain injured children. Since that time, he has progressed to the point that he is starting to read, and his behavioral issues are almost a thing of the past. Can you imagine we had no idea of his brain injury for all that time? Someone definately swept his correct diagnosis under the rug. What were they hiding? Why? Thomas still has many ‘autistic like traits”, he still shreds paper, covers his ears when afraid, gets fixated on disney movies and characters, flaps paper in the air etc, but all through this I kept telling myself, he can’t be autistic because of his eye contact. It has always been good. He is overly social, (to the point that it is not good). My point here is, he is only one child who was incorrectly diagnosed with autism. How many others are there?

June 28, 2008 at 2:56 am
(17) val says:

I think it matters if the treatment is different but also on expiations as MyBellavia stated the treatment for her child was not the same.

June 28, 2008 at 3:02 am
(18) val says:

I think we run into trouble when we lump autism as only a lump sum of behaviors
but the fact is there are disorders and diseases that mimic other diseases

I see my child as a wonderful blessing. She, her sister and my husband feel like rewards and I am so happy to have her in my life.

June 28, 2008 at 3:13 am
(19) val says:

Jen says:
Your right Autism is more than behaviors but some who asses autism don’t have grasp of what those behaviors should be. Some of these behaviors schools now list as autism can be ADHD which uses a complete different therapy model.
Gut trouble is just common with children in general and they are not caused all by wheat and milk. In some cases it’s just the milk Lactose intolerance and not ceisn. It also can be acid reflux. I hope I am not going to be gross I had trouble keeping food done since a child.
Before I had my first child it was discovered I had acid reflux.
I think parents should be more informed about this because treating acid reflux is not just about the cost it’s important that it get treated properly.

June 28, 2008 at 12:29 pm
(20) Bob-June 28 says:

It is a large umbrella—-a rose by any other name
is still a rose, no matter what the government tells
you, no matter how they try to spin it.

June 30, 2008 at 8:10 am
(21) eb says:

Adi,

Thank you for your words. You are truly an inspiration and you reflect my sentiments exactly. My son is not ill with anything. He perceives the world, as you say, in unique ways. I don’t wish to cure anything in him. I expect tolerance from society. His “way of being” is who he is. He senses things like a horse-undertones, undercurrents, in the environment, between people, and this causes some anxiety but he has learned coping strategies and I allow repetitive behaviors because they calm him. I allow him to be himself. I expect it in school and advocate for this treatment towards my son. Consequently, he is maturing wonderfully-no diet changes, meds just acceptance. When I hit your words, it was like a fresh breeze blew in through an open window.

best,

eb

July 1, 2008 at 10:33 am
(22) VisualVox says:

I’d like to add something to this discussion, as someone on the autistic spectrum with both intense sensory issues and food sensitivities (including seasonal allergies). I find that the two issues are closely intertwined — when my system is “off”, due to seasonal pollen/allergies (this year has been rough!) or food sensitivities, I become increasingly autistic — non-communicative, non-engaging, fixated on specific things… much more “classic autistic”, per the DMS-IV. But when my sensitivities and physical condition is strong and fine, I’m much more “Asperger’s”, more willing and able to interact with the world, and (although I do have some social issues that keep me from being as “socially seamless” as possible), my symptoms are more sidebars, than they are dominant features. I’m definitely on the spectrum. But the way I present to others really depends on my physical condition.

One thing that I think gets lost in the process is the way folks on the spectrum sometimes process information. I’m a very visual thinker, which means I have to “translate” all the verbal concepts into pictures in my head, then sort through what’s there to make sense to myself… and then “re-translate” the pictures and my visual understanding into words for people around me. As a kid, I was very verbal, but I didn’t always understand what I was talking about… I just talked.

For those kids who have sensory issues and are NOT really verbal, their different thinking process (it’s taken me 40-some years to be fully functional in my visual-verbal translations) may make them look like they’re “withdrawn”, when they’re actually thinking really hard, trying to figure out how to communicate with verbal people who don’t know how to read their body language. That happens to me all the time — someone will be talking to me, and I’ll need a few minutes to be able to process what they’ve said (on a good day, it takes 15-20 seconds, but if I’m having sensory issues that are throwing me off, it can take a few minutes)… and then I’ll need a few more minutes to turn my ideas into words that they can understand… and they think I’m being “withdrawn” or I’m having a hard time or I don’t want to communicate with them.

I do want to communicate. I just process info differently, and it takes me longer to verbalize, than other people.

Keep this in mind, when you’re dealing with autistic folks, especially your kids — maybe it’s not that they’re “trapped in a shell”, but they’re struggling to process all the words you’re saying to them, and trying to make sense of it all, so that they can communicate back to you.

You may want to try communicating with pictures. Or paying special attention to their body language.

Just wanted to throw that out there — don’t forget the visual thinking piece of the puzzle!

July 2, 2008 at 11:35 am
(23) Adi says:

Eb – thanks! :)

VisaulVox: A couple of us autistics chatted about the whole “translation” thing the one day, and we all agreed (a rare occurrence!). We all seem to have to learn or integrate new things around us by understanding it completely, through relating it to our existing understanding of the world, and then it can become part of us. It made me realise that it is probably what is happening when a kid is lining up the cars instead of just playing of them: it is all part of a thorough process of categorisation, relating and integration into existing knowledge, and if too much new knowledge tries to enter one’s brain at the same time, it is then that a meltdown or overload occurs. This is, by the way, all really new knowledge, fresh from Autreat, I will still blog about it properly…

Adi

July 22, 2008 at 2:49 am
(24) nikki says:

I think that doctor’s are over diagnosing the Autism. You could have a sevre language deficit disorder as a learning disability. I think most cases should be ruled out by somebody that is a learning specialist instead of going off of a check list. Some symptoms mimic each other. Also I think this is a big boon for the drug companies to profit off of drugging the kids.

September 10, 2008 at 11:23 am
(25) Josephine says:

Hi there. I read your post and I have asked myself that very same question for a year now. We noticed changes in our son so we had him evaluated. He was diagnosed with autism BUT the doctor at the time did not know he had a head injury. He fell onto a hardwood floor and hit his head when he was 11 months old. We had an EEG done and it came back abnormal, and confirming the brain injury. We now believe our son’s development has been impaired due to that fall, but for some reason doctors are continously insisting it’s autism. I have medical documentation that proves he had an injury. That’s enough for me to know what happened to my son. We are his parents and know him better than any doctor in the world. He is brain damaged with autistic-like symptoms. It is possible for this to happen. Too many children are being misdiagnosed. My son is one of them.

April 17, 2009 at 7:05 pm
(26) Gabby says:

Well I’m a Aspie and I believe that there can be a number of reasons affecting a person with ASD. I like to do things holistically and like to look at the whole picture rather thn just one picture. Recently I was put on to meds for anxiety. That did not work for me I kept having too many adverse reactions. Which comes down to my sensory sensitivities. Which I believe I am Gluten and Casein intolerant. So I put my natural path put me on a GFCF diet and i have to avoid foods with MSG in it. I find that this helps me alot. Also I believe I react to a lot of meds because I have a different biochemistry makeup. But not all people with ASD have this problem. I think it comes down to the inherent genes we get from our parents. My dad can’t have lactose and my mum i believe can’t have gluten put those two together and you have a recipe for a a GFCF diet. It’s just a theory I have at the moment. I haven’t proven it yet but 1 day I might.

November 9, 2010 at 2:38 am
(27) Lynnettarose says:

Im new here.My daughter is currently being tested for Aspergers,and numerous others test.She is 8yrs old.Socailly she is not regressing but in school she struggles really,really and is regressing in school.I have started on a mission to find and help her get back to where she needs to be.She was born on time.But it was 3-4 months before she had eyebrows,eyelashes,and finger nails.She did not show facail expressions till about 6mos old.She is maybe 5-10lbs overweight and has a enlarged thyroid,which we are going for a ultrasound tomorrow.She in on her second set of tubes in her ears,has vision problems and wears glasses.Very thin hair.Just found out she also has fallen arches.
My question is…how many of these systoms she has,is Aspergers? Or is there something else going on? She has always struggled in school but up until this year,it is starting to effect her emotionally.
All this symstoms I have mentioned run in our family.Is Aspergers a condition or a disease? can it be passed down thur the family? Im a single parent here and need to know if she would be eligilable for disabilty to get her the proper treatment she needs? Sorry for sooo many questions.
Does this also mean my famliy members qualify for disablity?
My brother has ALL the symtoms including stuttering, unusal langage pattern and repetitive hand motion.And yet my daughter has none of his symtoms.Please any info would be helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! email me at wehavachoice@yahoo.com

August 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm
(28) TD says:

This is an interesting thread. They have told me they are going to class my daughter as “Autism spectrum” even though she is not autistic, but it is the current “catch all”. I am pushing for them to check for brain injury given how and when things changed for her behaviorally. She had 2 emergency surgeries 36 hours apart. We know she coded in one of them. I have always said she acts like a brain injured child and is developing like one as well (peaks and valleys). I think true autism is getting mistreated because so many other undiagnosed kids are getting dumped under the umbrella rather than treated for what they actually have.