1. Health

Is autism caused by genetics? By vaccines? By environmental toxins? By food allergies? By immune deficiencies? By structural differences in the brain? By some combination of these? Or by something else entirely? Since there is no general consensus on the answer to this question, there is no general consensus on the "best" treatment for autism.

Mainstream medical practitioners tend to believe that autism is probably caused by a combination of genetic and structural differences. As a result, they stress a combination of behavioral therapies and, when warranted, pharmaceutical treatments. There are many doctors and therapists, however, who believe strongly that autism is caused by biomedical factors (toxins, immune deficiencies, inflammation in the "gut," and/or a combination of these and other issues).

The Defeat Autism Now (DAN!) project, created by the Autism Research Institute, created an approach to autism treatment called the "DAN! protocol" based on the biomedical theory of autism. Many parents believe that DAN! doctors are the best choice to treat their children with autism, and there are many testimonials to the effectiveness of the treatments. DAN! doctors, however, do often prescribe treatments and diets that mainstream doctors question or even denounce.

This new article looks at the origins of the DAN! protocol, and provides a general introduction to what a DAN! doctor is, does, and offers. If your child has been treated by a DAN! doctor (or if you have positive or negative things to share about this treatment approach), please feel free to add your thoughts to this post!

Comments
April 17, 2007 at 10:52 am
(1) George Schott Jr says:

Where can I find one of these doctor’s? I live in South Central Pa.

April 17, 2007 at 12:19 pm
(2) Devin's Mom says:

George-

Go to http://www.AutismResearchInstitute.com

You can get a list of the DAN doctors in your area.

Often there is a waiting list for new patients, so don’t put it off.

Our DAN doctor is amazing – he has patients fly in from other states, and countries, to see him for treatment.

I recommend (from personal experience) traditional therapies such as speech/OT, as well as the GFCF diet, AND biomedical intervention.

I believe our kids need support at many levels to achieve the best progress.

I don’t have time right now to finish all I have to say regarding DAN doctors, but if I get a chance later today or this evening I’ll jump back in and add some additional thoughts.

I’d be interested to know if you have a DAN doctor in your area – check in with ARI and let me know.

Good Luck,
DEVIN’S MOM

May 16, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(3) Jessica says:

Hi, Devin’s mom! I am Cayden’s mom, my name is Jessica. I have been trying to help my 4 year old son in defeating his autism and it has been very hard! Cayden has no speech or communication, he runs threw the house saying “aahhhh, aahhhh” (beautiful sound) Cayden has been in therapy for awhile now and we are debating whether or not to start him on the GFCF diet??… He does not eat much at all or drink for that matter and EVERYTHING he does eat ha gluten and casseine in it! I am so worried he will starve?… And hearing about the DAN doctor has opened my eyes even WIDER! So if you could help me in any way with any comments, i would really appreciate it! Thanks, Jessica- Cayden’s mom

May 31, 2011 at 10:53 am
(4) DEVIN'S MOM says:

Hello Jessica.
The GFCF diet can help many ASD kids.
For more information, I can now be reached at http://www.devinsmom.com

June 7, 2011 at 7:08 pm
(5) Donna says:

My 3 year old grandson was a dairy and gluten junky. He is now dairy and gluten free and we are noticing a difference after just 2 weeks. At first it was hard and he cried and we could not communicate to him why he could not have his yogurt anymore. He is not zoning out at all and he is saying new words everyday. He is on the system the DAN dr. recommended with vitamins. My daughter-in-law is trying not to stress out about it. He grabbed a few crackers at a cookout this weekend but you just move on and try your best. It is not cheap to live this way with the vitamins and organic foods but it is truly making a difference. The DAN dr. said though that just doing his things will not do it all, your child still needs speech and occupational therapy. Most school districts have pre-k autism programs. Seek that out also and pray for the Lord’s healing in your beautiful son.

June 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm
(6) Jeremy's mom says:

Hi Cayden’s mom! I just read your post and wondered how your son is doing? Did you start the diet? My son has been on for two months now. I haven’t seen any change yet…I am wondering about a DAN doctor. Just really starting to looking in to that. My son is 3 1/2…has little language. Just found this site and hoping to find some help here. best of luck to you

September 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm
(7) DoctorZ says:

Hi Jessica,
I hope you’ve found the right treatment for your son. There is a reason why he only wants gluten and casein – he is addicted!
I summarize a very interesting article on this topic if you’re interested (you can find the pdf of the full article there too):

Good luck!
DoctorZ

June 4, 2007 at 12:01 pm
(8) Wesley's Dad says:

I hope you were successful in finding a DAN! doctor. My son Wesley’s doctor is on the cutting edge of treatment and has just written a book on the treatment protocal, that I just fininshed reading. I drive from New Jersey and I have met several of his patients who drive in from PA. His name is Dr. Kenneth Bock. His practice is The Rhinebeck Health Center in Rhinebeck, NY. His book is out,it is called “Treating the New Childhood Epidemics”

December 17, 2007 at 2:45 am
(9) namagiri lakshmi says:

i am an occupational therapist working especially for asd. i am very much interested on biomedical intervention for asd s. kindly give info about whether i am eligible to practice this if so were can i take up this course.

February 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm
(10) W&D's mom says:

I am looking for a good DAN dr in Orange County, Ca. Any help would be appreciated.

June 10, 2008 at 5:09 pm
(11) roxana says:

I am looking for a DAN doctor can not find anyone to help my child!

July 25, 2008 at 1:32 pm
(12) Ann Richmond says:

I am looking for a good doctor that treats children with autism in Texas. Can anyone give me a name of someone that is reputable and good. We need help.

July 30, 2008 at 11:29 am
(13) nne says:

I have as son that was recently diagnosed with ASD and i am looking for a DAN doctor in Canada, specifically Ontario. Please help, i’m really desperate and want want i can do for him before it is too late

August 6, 2008 at 6:21 pm
(14) monica says:

I’m in Utah. Is there any DAN Doctors in Utah?

August 12, 2008 at 8:31 pm
(15) Diana says:

I am trying to find a Dan Doctor in Boston? Anyone know of one out here . For my son who has just been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder this april 08?

August 21, 2008 at 9:47 am
(16) Tonya says:

If any one has any information on a dan doctor in the new york area it will be greatly appreciated.

October 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm
(17) Tom says:

I would never suggest a DAN doctor. Biomedical treat is very harmful to your children. It has made my child more behavioral and emotional. My pumping your child with supplements it really harms their bodies. I have had the best luck with behavioral intervventions. Please only use a DAN doctor as a lst resort.

May 10, 2011 at 12:50 pm
(18) Colleen says:

I am sorry, but my opinion differs, My otherwise normally born boy 9 lbs baby boy,regressed back to a stroller, lost his language, became non social and agressive with consistent drooling….is now completely recovered in less than 2 years and only cost us $6000.00 dls.approx. My sons testimony is on this website of the Biomedical treatment centre in Puerto vallarta called Autismo2Clinica Hiperbarica. He used the very suppliments mentioned as part of the therapy, the Chelation, the HBot. Thank Heavens for these Angels who are few and far between who dedicate thier life and time into the research of biomedical treatment for autism. Suppliments are not harmeful, chemicals and toxins are!! The HBOT (Hyperbaric oxygen chamber) is what brought back his speach. My son did 40 consecutive sessions , 1 h 20 min per day 40 days. After about one week ,,, I cried when he begun to talk. His therapist explained the presurized oxygen reduces the inflamation in his brain caused by heavy metal toxins.

My son Matias is not almost 7 attending a private NORMAL school, no longer attends therapy. speaks, rides his bike and has many friends. I dont need proof, my son is my proof!!!

Don give up parents, AUTISM IS CURABLE!!!! VISIT THE WEBSITE AND GET MORE INFORMATION.

October 15, 2008 at 11:36 pm
(19) Momof3 says:

We have seen major improvements using a DAN doctor. We did the GFCF diet and then when we saw improvements, made an appointment with a reputable one. Then we did testing and slowly introduced a variety of supplements, one at a time. We did not “pump him” full of supplements in an irrational manner. I highly recommend anyone with a child on the spectrum to pursue biomedical. I can’t imagine trying to get any traditional therapies to work without first fixing the underlying biomedical issues in the individual child.

May 10, 2011 at 12:53 pm
(20) Colleen says:

just a few tips from a mom with a completely recovered autism child my testimony is on the url provieded. my boy is Matias!

the key, is the treatement all at once, diet (very strict)
nothing from a plastic bag, can or box, go back to mother nature.

diet, chelate, suppliments, HBOT (all at the same time)
took less than two year to recover my son.

Good luck,

October 25, 2008 at 8:08 pm
(21) Lisa and Mike says:

We are looking for a DAN Doctor in Brampton, Ontario(Canada). Please we need help for our son.

November 8, 2008 at 12:30 am
(22) Jessica says:

I am also looking for a DAN Doctor in Brampton, Ontario. Canada. Please let me know if u have any info.

November 14, 2008 at 12:34 pm
(23) Terry says:

In response to Tom, how can biomedical treatment be harmful to a child? That’s like putting a drug addict into treatment but allowing him to remain on all his drugs and expecting him to recover. There is no difference between not removing harmful drugs and not removing harmful foods you are allergic to. My 16 year old grandson (who is not ASD) reacted to sugar when he was younger. It made him bounce off the walls nonstop. Do we keep giving him sugar? Of course not. He was controlled and normal without it and could function and learn. He couldn’t function or concentrate/learn on it. No different than any other food that someone reacts to. Why do we wear gloves when cleaning with household chemicals like amonia? Because amonia burns your skin and repeated exposure to it will permanently damage the skin. So why would you force your kid to endure the effects of consuming wheat, dairy, gluten, etc., which after repeated exposure cause holes in their stomach lining. You may as well be forcing amonia down their throats. Either way you will lose your kid. Your choice. But personally, I think it’s the equivalent to a pregnant woman doing meth.

November 20, 2008 at 5:17 pm
(24) Amanda says:

I am looking for a DAN Doctor near Northwest Florida.

November 27, 2008 at 2:39 pm
(25) Dawn says:

The only thing that I can think of is that Tom went to someone not very good. By giving your child the wrong supplements, it can lead to worsening of the condition/symptoms. Or, sometimes, with effective treatment you will see a temporary worsening of symptoms. It is hard to say without knowing the entire story, but DAN doctors do work. Regular medical doctors don’t have any hope for our vaccine injured children.

November 29, 2008 at 8:55 pm
(26) Shail says:

I am looking for a DAN doctor for my son NYC metro area. Any suggestions/experience, please share it with me.
Thanks a lot

Shail

December 22, 2008 at 10:27 am
(27) Susan says:

Canadian DAN doctors:

The only DAN MDs in Ontario:
Dr. Gannage in Markham

Dr. Coombs in Perth

January 9, 2009 at 12:51 pm
(28) Cheryl says:

Scientific studies prove that antioxidants greatly help children and people with learning disabilities. Anyone who would like to discuss this and for more info email me at:chersdreams@yahoo.com

February 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm
(29) Gustavo Nungaray says:

Im looking for a good Dan doctor in California please help

February 3, 2009 at 7:42 pm
(30) Jenifer Lairmore says:

Pick up Jenny McCarthy’s book “Mother Warriors”. In the back of the book there are a list of states and the DAN! doctors that practice in those states and cities. It also gives the address and the phone number. That is where I found mine and I am in Southwest Ohio.

February 9, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(31) Juliette says:

Ann Richmond – you are very lucky. There is a great doctor in Texas – Dr. Bryan Jepson. I have never been to him as I am in PA but he is one of the biggies.

February 28, 2009 at 10:54 am
(32) Anne Marie says:

looking for a DAN! doctor in Philadelphia. We took our 3 year old to St. christopher’s. They diagnosed her with Autism. She has done very well with OT and speech.She also is responding well to us through Floortime play.She is in a developmentally delayed classroom and has been doing very well. We are very fortunate that she isn’t experiencing temper tantrums or any stomach problems(that we know of) She is unable to tell us…………

September 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm
(33) Brittany says:

Does your DAN doctor work at St Chris? My 3 year old son was recently diagnosed with Autism and i have been looking for a DAN doctor here in Philadelphia for him. He is currently in an Autistic School Program and recieving daily OT and ST but i havent noticed much of a difference. Other then your daughter, we are now entering in on the severe tantrums that were not present in the past. He also suffers from severe constipation and has become a major issue. My son seems to be regressing, and it is ripping my heart out. I had my son when i was just 17 and this is a battle i was not prepared for but i have done everything in my power to provide him a better life and i feel like having a DAN would help significantly. If there is any informaiton you can provide me i would appreciate in the uttermost way. Thanks for your time.

May 10, 2011 at 12:58 pm
(34) colleen says:

Puerto Vallarta Mexico
BIOMEDICAL treatment centre, non profit run by American
Recovered my son, see the website,

I spend aprox 6000USD in two years, and my son is completeley recovered, they are amazing. Good luck.

Something is missing in the US and Canada I dont hear of the same number of children being recovered there as I do in this clinic. People visit Kerri from around the world.

good luck

March 2, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(35) daniel says:

For everyone needing practioners list you can find it here

March 2, 2009 at 2:28 pm
(36) Daniel says:

@ Jenifer Lairmore
Which did you try? I live in Cincinnati, could you let me know your thoughts of the program?

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm
(37) Becky says:

I am trying to find a good DAN doc in CA. I would prefer northern CA. I have looked at the list of DAN docs but it is so tough to pick one. Does anyone know of a good doc?
Thanks!

May 16, 2009 at 4:47 pm
(38) hazem alshudaifat says:

i live in jordan the country, in the middle east. Where can I find one of these doctor’s?

May 18, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(39) Dr Jarosz says:

I am responding to a comment from Becky. I am a naturopathic doctor that works with many children and I would be glad to talk with you and help you find the right doctor that will be able to help.
Glen Jarosz, ND
Chico Naturopathic Medicine
(530) 332-9355

May 29, 2009 at 11:24 am
(40) I alfaqeeh says:

I am living in Saudi Arabia , I am looking for good DAN doctor for my sun in my area ,

July 15, 2009 at 10:45 am
(41) kiran patil says:

i am from mumbai, india. my 9 year old son is autistic, where can i find someone in mumbai

July 28, 2011 at 3:26 am
(42) amit says:

U can find in Delhi.

August 5, 2009 at 4:59 pm
(43) Jennifer says:

Try NAET! Find a practitioner that will let you speak to some patients of theirs. Join the yahoo group FAAT, food allergies alternative treatments. Its a good compliment to DAN!, or even an alternative.

August 6, 2009 at 12:48 pm
(44) Taru says:

I am looking for a good doctor that treats children with autism in India. Can anyone give me a name of someone that is reputable and good. We need help.

August 12, 2009 at 9:57 pm
(45) Suzanne says:

There is a great DAN doctor in Southern California, Dr. Kurt Woeller. His website is myStillPoint.com or Google his other site, AutismActionPlan. He helped my son thru diet, vitamin therapy and Hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

September 2, 2009 at 2:16 pm
(46) Mira says:

I would like to answer hazem alshudaifat regarding a DAN doctor in Jordan. I live in Beirut/Lebanon and I recently started the DAN protocol woth Dr Mohammad Almomani in Jordan at the total wellness clinic. He is a lovely and very helpful person.

October 21, 2009 at 4:06 am
(47) Tamara says:

I’m using successful the DAN! protocol approach. I don’t have contact with DAN! doctor. We don’t have them in our country, but I bought the book of Jaquilin MacCandless “Children with starving brain” and got the membership on her web site. I follow these treatments and read many things about effective protocols on different WEB site. Dana from US treated all her 3 autistic children by your self with same way. She was diagnosed as heavy ASD, but after 3 years DAN! Protocols she is verbal, glad and we think to take normal school. Think independently and help your child that only you can do NOW! Their destiny in your hands!

October 23, 2009 at 7:56 pm
(48) Carter's Dad says:

Does anyone have any good advice about how to find reliable,safe,trustworthy in-home care that specializes in autistic toddlers in north-central Florida?

October 27, 2009 at 3:48 am
(49) Laura says:

We’ve been folloing the DAN protocal for 6 years now. Amazing what has happened to our son and how he has recovered, yes, recovered!!!
This saved our son!

November 2, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(50) Joe says:

Keep sending your kids to these doctors, because it is going to take a decent body count before you guys realize how “effective” this treatment is. You are saving researchers tons of money, not to mention approval for putting kids health in such danger is hard to receive and the morals of a legitimate doctor (who isn’t completely emotionally or financially involved) find it difficult to proceed. GO CRAZY AUTISM PARENTS! YAY!

November 2, 2009 at 6:24 pm
(51) Tammy says:

To Laura:

It’s wonderful to hear that your son has recovered.

Can you give more details pls if you don’t mind. How old was your son when you began the DAN protocol? When did you started seeing improvement and how? …etc.

Thanks again!

November 16, 2009 at 3:06 pm
(52) Tina says:

To Mira (and Hazem),

I live in Jordan and tried Dr Mohammad Almomani to treat my daughter. All I can say is that I am totally disappointed…it is the worst service and the centre is so unprofessional. It is unfortunate that there no other centres in Jordan other than this one!!

If I was to do this again, I would DEFINITELY not go to this centre to begin with.

To all those that live in the Middle East and need a DAN doctor for their child, I recommend you get online and seek a Dr. from the States…

November 23, 2009 at 3:38 pm
(53) kevin says:

We have been using a DAN. doctor for the last Six Years and
all i can say is that he has helped my Son 100% compared
to the Traditional Medical approach that made him Violent and grossly overweight. The science is sound compared to
going to a regular Doctor and having your Kid Medicated
to the point were he resembles a piece of Furniture and
not a Real Person. Supplements work with the Body.
Medicine from a Regular Doctor only suppress the symptoms and do not help in the long run and in our case only made the situation worse.

November 26, 2009 at 3:28 am
(54) Vivek Gupta says:

I am looking for DAN doctor in Delhi, Is anyone available.

August 4, 2011 at 5:34 am
(55) amita says:

Yes, there is one in delhi called deepak gupta, somewhere in greater kailash. i dont know how good he is. My son is on spectrum too. but i m doing diet and homeopathy.

December 1, 2009 at 4:58 pm
(56) Tom says:

We live in Croatia, but would like to take our 5 year son to the US for a complete medical assessment. Can anyone recommend a doctor or a hospital, preferably on the East Coast where we could do this? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

December 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm
(57) Joy says:

To Tom:

Dr Bradstreet is one of the best in the States. He is in Florida. Check their website:

Dr Bradstreet is very expensive though…

December 12, 2009 at 12:09 am
(58) frust8dmomof2 says:

I need the best DAN dr in NorCal…we are in Humboldt County, but will travel to wherever we have to to get help my our sweet lil boy. He’s not even 2 and all these drs say to put him on all kinds of pills…we are getting no where. Please help.

December 14, 2009 at 10:27 am
(59) anna says:

could anyone, please, recommend a DAN!/biomedical doctor in Cincinnati area (or close)?

January 11, 2010 at 1:40 pm
(60) Tonya says:

Need a DAN doctor in Texas. Tried a doctor in Colorado Springs, CO and he is horrible.

January 12, 2010 at 5:15 pm
(61) MommaJP says:

Lisa and Mike, Jessica, and nne
I found a DAN! Dr. for my daughter in Ontario at

An alternative would be to find a Naturopathic doctor who may be able to refer you to a DAN! Dr.

Tom (in Croatia)
I have been wanting to find information on autism in croatian for my in-laws. Would you be able to recommend a reputable site?

Good luck!
Jen

January 12, 2010 at 5:28 pm
(62) MommaJP says:

kevin…EXACTLY
medication is overrated, and the western world has been brainwashed to believe there is a pill or cure-all for any and all ailments :( even when one suffers a side-effect from a medication, what is the treatment? ANOTHER MEDICATION. it just sickens me

January 20, 2010 at 3:05 pm
(63) Mary says:

This webpage is been really helpful, I found a DAN Dr,
and I’m gonna do my best to help my Daughter
this can be a really long path to walk thru, but I’m ready to do the hike I encourage the parents to prepare for this big step is not easy and it may be really hard to follow don’t give up!

We love our children

February 23, 2010 at 9:56 am
(64) Charlotte says:

Tonya in Texas.. we live in Texas as well and found Dr. Kurt Woeller online. He is in California but will do phone consultations. Unbeliveable Doctor. He has a website that you can join and get 24/7 comments and guidence. http://www.autismactionplan.org is the web site. Good luck, we are very very happy with our Dan Doctor.

February 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm
(65) Jen says:

We are fortunate to see a pediatrician from the ICDRC in Melborne, Florida. The strides we have seen in our son are nothing short of incredible. At 7 years old, he had deteriorated to the point of frequent self-injurous behavior, sharp decline in school performance, aggressive outbursts, terrible self-esteem, and multiple GI and immune disoders (ie: entercholitis/Hives/skin problems/wicked allergies). The DAN approach, combined with occupational therapy, hippotherapy, PANDAS treatment and lots of love and patience, have him back on his game. He states he feels comfortable in his own skin for the first time. He is excelling in school, with only minor accommodations for test-taking (small venue, multiple pencils and ability to chew gum to help settle nerves). He is a patrol leader for his scout troop, which is an elected position. He competes in traditional 4-H and special needs horse shows. But, most important of all he is happy and so much healthier. The diet and supplements may be difficult and daunting at times, but the rewards are so worth the effort. Just keep in mind there are no quick fixes, every child is unique with unique chemistry and challenges. The book “Treating the New Childhood Epidemics” is very helpful, albeit a bit technical at times. I found it most useful in explaning my son’s protocols to teachers and other traditional pediatricians. By-the-way, to “JOE”, our DAN doctor is a licenced/board certified PEDIATRICIAN who happens to treat only kids on the spectrum. He is not less of a physician or person for specializing his practice to the benefit of a certain group of children. Yes, the visits and tests are not cheap, but much of the cost is deferred to fund research and education. Once enough data is accumulated to satisfy the nay-sayers, I am confident the general principles and practices of DAN doctors will become more mainstream. I just pray that doubters spend some quality time researching all of the availble data so as not to discourage parents from seeking treatment that may be a crucial factor toward recovery for their children. Good luck to all along your journey toward recovery. Jen, Mom of Ryan

September 29, 2011 at 11:30 am
(66) Lesa says:

Hi, I am trying to find a PANDAS doctor in the Melbourne/Central Florida area. Can you give me the name of the pediatrician you used. Thanks.

April 26, 2010 at 10:18 am
(67) Valerie McIntyre says:

Hi
looking for DAN! information in Ontario Canada join us at http://www.autismrecovery.ca and join the discussion, find the answers you are looking for from parents who have been there. Free and instant to join!

May 23, 2010 at 9:02 am
(68) GoldSalebol says:

hi.
That tips are great, thank you ..
I love your blog…

June 19, 2010 at 7:59 am
(69) Terence Elliott says:

Regarding “as there is no general consensus on the answer to this question [what causes autism] there is no general consensus on the “best” treatment for autism”:

There IS overwhelming, nearly universal consensus (except among the tiny number of DAN doctors) that vaccines and mercury do NOT cause autism, and that chelation therapy and vitamins are of no benefit.

July 6, 2010 at 7:16 pm
(70) Lisa says:

Pfeiffer Treatment Center – Hope Starts Here.
They offer a one-of a kind approach and analyze each individuals biochemical make-up. Their diagnostic approach pinpoints specific biochemical imbalances in earch person so therapies can be tailor made for each individual’s precise needs. Their therapies have been proven to relieve symptoms of autism spectrum and improve behavior. They have an on-site licensed pharmacists expertly trained in compounding nutrients therapies, using the highest quality vitamins, minerals and amino acids. They are located in Chicago but trust me this is the best trip you can ever invest in. God bless!

July 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm
(71) Sonia says:

To the people with nasty comments, I guess its obvious that your child doesnt suffer with autism. If so you wouldnt be discouraging other parents. supplements and vitamins are the best and most safest way to go to heal our child, it helps balance out the neurotransmitters in the brain & body without harming. compared to prescription medication which are unsafe and have long term effects even if used once or short term.

To the loving parents, who are doing all they can for their dearest child, please be strong and have hope and faith in your choices and our hard work, because we (you) are their hope in healing, to having a brighter future.

My son Vincent was 2yr when diagnosed with Autism , I started doing alot of research on the net, buying books & lots of reading. therapy is very effective
(study autism really benefits yourself and your child, understanding things that they cant tell us)

Learn all you can about what autism is. what autism kids are sensitive to, foods autism kids react to (hyperactive) stay away from wheat mushrooms, brocoli, etc. bells, noisy loud places, get their hearing check.

most autism kids need a high dose of vitamins esp vit
B6. best to find a doctor who only specialises in autism, developement delay ASD, ADHD etc. not a normal gp.

Warm wishes to healing our child…

July 20, 2010 at 12:44 am
(72) Sheila says:

I was looking for a DAN Doctor in PA. I seen the listing, but really wanted feedback from anybody that might have visited one of the doctors in PA.

August 27, 2010 at 8:55 am
(73) Ms. A Williams says:

I’m looking for a DAN Doctor in Louisiana

August 30, 2010 at 6:17 pm
(74) Jackie says:

I don’t come to this site often, but came across this article. If you are still looking for a DAN, message me and I will give you suggestions. I probably won’t be back to this page so please don’t reply here.

jacquelinemartinsebell@yahoo.com

Jackie

September 1, 2010 at 10:24 pm
(75) Amber says:

I am the mother of a child with autism We are looking for a DAN doctor in Alberta Canada. We have been going to one DAN doctor in Calgary, Alberta and we are not happy with him. Does anyone have anybody else in mind? If so could you please reply some contact infromation!! Thanks and good luck to all of you

September 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm
(76) Maya says:

Amber,
I am moving from Ontario to Calgary next year. What is the DAN doctor you are talking about? why aren’t you happy with him.
Sorry, I am doing a lot of homework before we move and try to find all help I can. All the best !

June 7, 2011 at 11:31 pm
(77) Nicole says:

Hi Amber,
Not sure if you are still looking for DAN doctor in Alberta (I know this was posted a long time ago, but I am new to this site), I am going to see Dr. Hartman in Sylvan Lake who has been recommended to me from 3 different people. I have not actually seen him myself yet, but have heard numerous good things about his results. His clinic is called “Nature’ s Health Clinic” and he has a website listing his creditials, and other information.
Just curious if you found anyone else in Alberta since your post and if you had any success?

September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm
(78) birgit mccarty says:

I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me the cost of all these DAN doctor treatments; surely the insurance company will not pay for it. My son has an autism spectrum disorder and I was just wandering if he would even qualify for a DNA doctor; he has high functioning autism. ? I did try the GFCF diet and noticed his behavior got worse and he was more highstrong; he has ADHD and a high sensory need.

June 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm
(79) Donna says:

They vary, ours is $40.00 per visit and then you pay for supplements. The 1st visit is $90.00. We are fortunate because our Dr. takes B/C B/S but most of them want just cash and then you can file with your insurance yourself.

October 8, 2010 at 1:42 am
(80) Sam's mom says:

Amber & Maya
We are also in Calgary, and see Dr. Stuart Wilkinson. He has helped my son tremendously!
Their is another DAN Dr. in Calgary, but stay away from him. He will charge you a fortune, and do nothing. Dr. H is only in it for the money.
Both can be checked out on http://www.ratemds.com
Amber who have you been seeing?
Good luck to you both!

October 22, 2010 at 3:59 pm
(81) Maya says:

Sam’s mom! Thanks a lot!

October 30, 2010 at 5:54 am
(82) Pam says:

We have received wonderful treatment at DIR – THe Floortime Institute in Bethesda. Maryland.

October 30, 2010 at 10:06 pm
(83) Mother and MD says:

This response is to Terrence. You are absolutely incorrect that there is universal consensus or research that demonstrates that vaccines and mercury are not responsible for the massive epidemics of allergies, chronic disease, cancer and developmental disease we are witnessing. In fact, far more evidence exists throughout scientific literature that it does. What you are confusing is the statements made by the “experts” that determine guidelines. These are administrators and persons with patents in vaccine or other pharmaceutical consulting salaries. Vaccination is a religion, not a science. And it is a religion that worships profit.

October 30, 2010 at 10:08 pm
(84) Mom and MD says:

cont Terrence
Ask any AAP/AAFP boarded doctor who gives vaccines (even the DAN! doctors) what original literature they have read on the efficacy and safety of individual vaccines. Ask what journals published them. I estimate 98% have not read anything but their academy’s guidelines. Sorry, but we are kept as blind as sheep when it comes to vaccines and only get second hand information through our academies. The AAFP has had only one article in their journal through the last two decades on vaccines. They site two papers – the Danish study and a study which evaluated use of special education in California (that actually concluded Autism was not increasing:). The Danish study was funded in part by their largest pharmaceutical company. The collection and manipulation of data was horrendous in the Danish study. It is as if they were mocking evidence based medicine. You can find a number of critiques of its abuse of research standards.

October 30, 2010 at 10:10 pm
(85) Mother and MD says:

There was a new study recently of 1000 patients that the AAP reported compared vaccinated and unvaccinated children. They were all vaccinated. They had no definition of variables –all the kids vaccines schedules were all over the place and they used neurologic tools to evaluate that do are not consistent and do not measure what we see happening at each developmental milestone. A handful of recent poorly, constructed papers have basically been done to cover up what has happened by the gross negligence of the CDC, the World Health Organization and Pharmaceuticals. There are literally no good papers that demonstrate that vaccines accomplish immunity. In fact, research over and over again proves they prove they do not. Vaccines create a chronic humoral response which decimates the immune system and the response lasts anywhere from a few months (if you are lucky – if their is no adjuvant) to maybe fives years. I look through my medical texts and read the vaccine section – we were never shown the original research (because it was not done) the portion to describe the human response to vaccines was copied from the section of the body’s response to the illness after recovery. We only gain true immunity by having a disease and recovering. Childhood illnesses exist as part of the maturation process of our immune system.

October 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm
(86) mother and MD says:

cont terrence
Other epidemics that die our of our society after herd immunity is achieved – a large portion of the community has had the disease and recovered. It has never been proven and in fact research shows the body never gains long term immunity with vaccination. This is why we keep trying booster after to booster. In fact, all you are doing is creating a great load of antigen attached to a adjuvant (aluminum) so that is difficult of the body to excrete the compound. Thus, the body continues a chronic humoral response. I highly recommend Dr. TenPenny’s “Saying No to Vaccines”. I have been dedicating my time to showing my colleagues the evidence that does and does not exist for vaccines. What most physicians and consumers do not understand is that our government boards are run by industry. There are no more ethics in the development in pharmaceuticals than in cigarettes or the pesticide companies that got their beginning in our government’s defense department. The industrial leaders run our FDA and they control media coverage just as their colleagues in the rest of the trillion dollar chemical companies that run the EPA and USDA. Protection of our citizens has come from grass roots private monies to lobby within these arenas. Our allopathic system over the last several decades has become almost entirely financed to find medicine that is profitable not curative. The human body was made perfectly and it suffers only by what man made materials we submit it too. The medical establishment has failed in terms of vaccines, but what is unforgivable is their attempt to hide their failure. The biomedical research that is being done to help children with Austism to ADHD are just beginning to uncover what enzymatic, autoimmune, nutritional and neurologic issues are being devastated.

October 30, 2010 at 10:13 pm
(87) mother and MD says:

Support and hopeful futures to all of you parents and children.

Blessings,

Sarah

December 15, 2010 at 7:32 pm
(88) jsi says:

You know, I’m not a big proponent of vaccinations myself; as an adult, I do not get them for the flu and such. Mother and MD, I think that you make very good points about vaccines in general and their usage, however the fact remains that that does not indicate that vaccinations cause autism. Autism is characterized by a failure to develop appropriately, not by regression of development. Why do people not consider that perhaps such environmental “toxins” such as vaccines, mercury, etc. can potentially lead to autism-like symptoms without it being autism?? The fact that people who subscribe to this DAN! doctor phenomena have failed to distinguish between autism that is characterized by failures in meeting developmental milestones and this thing that is characterized by regression after a period of normal development (which people then call “autism caused by vaccination”). I’m sure DAN! doctors are very helpful for kids whose problems stem from systemic imbalances, however that is not what true autism is. These are two different issues stemming from different origins that require different treatments. If DAN! doctors work for your child without behavioral intervention, OT/PT, and other traditional autism therapies, then your child was misdiagnosed.

February 15, 2011 at 10:33 am
(89) Dips says:

To Kiran Patil and Taru,

I wish i could check this website and help you earlier..but as they say its never too late.
My nephew is diagnosed with Autism a year back at the age of 3.5. He was in India for close to 10 months and we took him to all possible doctors here, they could easily observe his behaviour- like head banging, toe-walking, poor hand-eye coordination but none could come even close to the diagnosis. So forget about getting a DAN treatment. Now my nephew is in UK and getting regular treatment there. We are also runnign a pathbreaking ” Son-Rise” program for Full recovery from Autism, along with other biomedical interventions and alternative therapies for him. Believe me within months, we have seen a lot of improvement in him. I would strongly urge the parents and relatives to visit the the site; http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/
This is a true story of their Son called Raun who fully recovered from autism and similar other success stories.

I would love to help anyone with more information if you are interested. Please would request you all to first program if you have tried everything else as well.

Lots of love and affection to all the kids who need us on daily basis. Its all about accepting them as they are and loving them.

God Bless!

Dips

February 22, 2011 at 1:45 am
(90) div says:

i live in United State i have 3.6year autistic som we are doing dan but not working please give suggestions, we belong to india thanks

February 19, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(91) oma says:

hello
where can I find a DAN doctor, i live on the Jersey Shore…

April 9, 2011 at 1:47 am
(92) amita says:

To Dips,

I have a 6 yr old son with autism. he is on dietary intervention and i have recently started with homeopathy. he is doing much better. i wanted to know more about sonrise. i wanted to go for initial training but one things stopped me from doing so was the volunteers need to run this program which is tough to find in noida. can u give me any suggestions about getting volunteers.

May 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm
(93) Jessica says:

I live in Indiana with my 4 year old autistic son… Any DAN docs in this area?…..

June 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm
(94) kvr says:

We live in Pittsburgh, PA and looking for a DAN DR, I looked into the website which lists me like 2-3 DRS in OHIO which are like 2 hours from me, not sure whom to prefer, Can someone pls suggest, Thanks

June 10, 2011 at 6:53 pm
(95) Anonymous says:

Hello, I am just going to start out by saying i am going off second hand information from an autism behavioralist who also will teach them to share play with other children even speak. Personally I believe these DAN doctors are a waste of money. From what I hear these “doctors” believe that Autism is caused by too many chemicals in the brain. So one treatment i hear is they pump toxins into your child to eliminate these excess chemicals. The truth is that the cause for autism is in the brain. There is something “not connected” in their brain. Has anyone heard a child with autism make noise, kinda sounds like gibberish? Well that’s them trying to speak. They know what they want to say they just cant put the words together.

June 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm
(96) Anonymous says:

I am sure that these dan doctors don’t do anything but its up to you i am sure i made my point in my previous post…Your child’s gibberish is actually them trying to talk. So one suggestion i have for anyone with a child that has autism teach them sign language and learn it yourself. If that is out of the question there is this program called PECS. Just click on the word and it should take you to the about page on the PECS site. basically it is just little cards with pictures on them that they can pull off a velcro strip and hand to you. For instance if i had autism and I wanted candy, i would find the card that had the picture of candy and it would say candy under it and i would hand it to you.

Thank you for reading this post and please respond.

June 17, 2011 at 8:28 am
(97) chris smith says:

DAN doctors apparently apply a number of treatments but the heart of it appears to be elimination of offending substances from the extensive literature reviews I am doing. My personnal experience is based on a couple of cases where a 4 day food diary followed by 5 days of 100% elimination of all the individual’s commonly eaten foods (and food additives) was very carefully administered. Very sensitive individuals can certainly have problems beyond just gluten and casein so all regular foods/drinks are replaced by “unusual” but healthy foods just for the test period. This was similar to the 1980′s Dr. Marshall Mandell’s approach (5 day Allergy Relief) but did not require fasting. Fast and complete relief of all Autisism and ADHD types of symptoms. No risk, no suppliments or chelation were needed and a 4-5 day rotation diet uncovered food sensitivities. In my converstaions with CDC they unfortunately still restrict the definition of “allergy” to IgE mediated reactions and refuse to consider other mechanisms/sensitivities that are difficult to study in the double blind, placebo controlled method I wish we could employ. Happy to share more as I study further

July 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm
(98) Dariusz Dzikowski says:

please help, looking for DAN doctos in Michigan (Detroit/AnnArbor area) thanks

July 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm
(99) Dariusz Dzikowski says:

please help, looking for DAN doctos in Michigan (Detroit/AnnArbor area) thanks

July 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm
(100) Darius says:

help, looking for DAN practitioners in Detroit/AnnArbor area Michigan

August 12, 2011 at 12:49 am
(101) Meme Doskey says:

Are there any Dan doctors in New Orleans, Louisiana or the Mississippi Gulf Coast region?

August 26, 2011 at 1:54 am
(102) APARNA & BHABATOSH says:

We live in Jamshedpur, India. We have an autistic son 16 years old.Where can I get DAN doctors in India?