What Was It That Caused Your Depression
I remenber feeling a lot of self pity and guilt. Feeling like a failure. I think the cause of all of this is lack of knowledge, looking for someone, something to blame. (I choose now not to blame just to accept and move forward) In hindsight it's fair to say how can you know, when it's something you've not really known before. I mean you have to absorb, process and and get it straight in your head. Initially not knowing, having no clear path forward and of course the worry for your child.
How Did You Get Past Depression to Help Your Child
Just moving forward with early intevention. (although 2 hours a week was just not cutting it.) We were lucky enough for a place at a special needs school where all children with various disabilities were at. This is where I can say I got a shock. I remember walking into this school for the first time. I hate to say it but to be honest I felt soo guilty about my feelings and state of mind when I saw what some other families were dealing coping with. I was quite emotional when I walked out that day. This wonderful place gave us 'Hope'. 2 days a week of ABA and other 1 on 1 education really helped our little guy. Seeing these improvements helps you to be more positive, building a better understanding does help to.
- Don't feel sorry for yourself. Get on the front foot and get a bit of momentum moving forward. This helps you and your child.
- Develop an understanding of Autism, your role and keep supporting your child and family.
- Get help. Find people reasouces therapies and get them tailored for you child.
- Accepting the facts and moving forward. I think denial is a big threat to development as it means the child isn't getting all the potential help they could.
- Let people in. Most people that we meet and share our son conditition with are very interested and understanding