1. Health

Autism Success Stories: Share Yours Today!

By November 6, 2007

When I first started this website, I envisioned an area dedicated to autism success stories. I'm especially intrested in personal stories of people with autism who are successfully achieving according to their own abilities and interests.

I started with just a few stories from parents about their young children's amazing moments of success:

Now, as we approach holiday season, I'd like to expand that collection of stories - radically! I'd like to include stories from parents, grandparents, siblings, and - of course - teens and adults on the autism spectrum. I can't publish long pieces (please keep it to no more than 500 words), but I can include photos.

As the stories above should make it clear, "success" is measured differently for different people - and for people with autism, "success" can mean a word spoken, a smile shared - or a Ph.D. degree earned!

Please share this request with friends and support groups. I look forward to hearing from you!

Comments
August 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm
(1) Marshall Kise says:

Hello my name is Marshall Kise and i am an 18 year old male teenager from Syracuse,New York that was diagnosed with austism that had accoplished alot of obstacles in my life when i was growing up. When I was born in Seattle,Washington in 1991 my father knew that there was something wrong wth me as soon as he laid his eyes on me. He begged the doctors to come up with answers but he gave up hope and was trying to find answers all by himself. My childhood was not like all other normal children have, it was a living nightmare for me to live with all of my family members in Marcellus for the first five years. But in my early years my big brother had the ability to understand what I wanted. My parents didn’t know why but my brother secretly understood. As soonn as my parenbts buisiness changed we moved into Syracuse in order to start a new living for our parents to get their business started and send me and my brother Matt Kise into a school called Westhill in order to get a quality education. The main reason was my autism. All the other school districts were afraid to teach disability children and would never even have the heart to do such a helpful thing. It was a whole new world for me when i got older. I had to go to school for the first time. When i entered kingdergarden and the first year of 1st grade, i couldint talk at all and i was all alone and heartbrokened.No one would stop to see or even help me about my struggle.I once was secretly planting three store bought white beans in the school garden when i was in Kindergerden to past the school hours befor i went home. I was losing hope that the bean plant would never sprout.My teachers were about to kick me out of school until the bean sprouted right in front of me while i was on my knees scred with tears and with the teachers and older kids were about to hurt me. After the miricle occured people began to realize that i was a boy that had love, courage and determination to plant that seed. Ever since, my life had changed for the better. That beean indead saved my life.

When i entered 2nd grade and beyond, i began to speak for the first time and then i began to get along with all the rest of the normal kids out in the school playground. They started to love having me as their playmate for the first time. The 3rd and 4th school was the next step for my growth and well being. I started to build my foundation by having a passion for hunting,fishing,animals, and karate. All the time i have been talking about animals and the outdoors and and some of my paper work were about all of my pasion for animals and karate.Doing karate helped me learned how to control my actions and feeling deep inside and to this day that old training of disapline never went away from me. Teachers and all the other kids were amazed and some of them even got involve in it. I was privilaged to be first trained by my brother which he was a black belt master. I also love to lern how to do animal calls especially wild turkeys.
Middle school took my career as a good citizen to a whole new level,my sudying skills were getting better, i had good freinds that supported me and even the teachers helped me alot. In 6th grade i impressed alot of people in my school for winning the New York State NWTF turkey calling contedt in 2003 for youth state champion.One teacher was so impressed that she put my story on the morning anouncements. I will never forget it either will she. When i entered my 7th and 8th grade year, i began to play lacrosse for my school and even started to play the piano. The sport was awsom to play but and the piano leasons were really enjoyable as soon as i entered my high school career, i had to learn things in a new way step my step in order to graduate.
I entered my high school life with confidence at first, but later it was a struggle. I hated math and i didnt pass the math A regents until my senior, I played lacrosse from my freshman year to senior as a defensive midfeild and starting my sophmore year i made senior all county as a sophmore in 2007, I had been volunteer work at Carpenters Brook Fish Hatchery, and i made myself even a better individual as a student. But when my senior year came, I passed the math a regents exam, helped the chorus win 5 gold awards at the Annapolis Maryland music competition,participated in a college class run by ESF, led the lacrose team to the sectional final four, i drive and i graduated high school with my regents diploma. I was also glad to graduate karate with a Jr black belt degree. I have voulunteered at Carpenter Brook Fish Hatchery because i want to get a feel about my work study in studing fisheries and wildlife management as my passion for life. As a result i am going to SUNY Cobleskill to major in Fisheries and Wildlife Technology and joining the school Tae Kwon Do club in the fall of 2009.

In all my life i couldint be more thankful for my family, friends, teachers, and all the people i met in my life.These were the people that helped me built a lifetime foundation for me by disapline,love and compassion by helping others. If there is one thing i have learned you have got to appreciate the people in your life whilr you have the chance. Always beleive in yourself and in your dreams and it will come true.

Thankyou for having the time to read my story and i hope it will inspire you help other people with disabilities than ever before.

Marshall Kise

September 10, 2010 at 4:20 am
(2) Azir says:

Dear Marshall,

As I was reading your story, I can’t help but shed tears in my eyes out of happiness and hope for my son who was diagnosed with autism a year and a half ago. Thank you so much for your story and I hope there would also be other stories like yours that would inspire us, parents, to do our very best to help and love our kids. God bless you.

September 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm
(3) Jackie says:

You are a god blessed child (young man) and remember that.

You have given me more hope than you could even imagine. My son was diagnosed last year as HFA after having a stressful first year of school. He’s in 3rd grade and is doing well despite he skipped kindergarten (not by choice but by force!) and went into grade one right after daycare! He did nothing in the first year of school and it took a special ed teacher in Grade 2 to discover what I already knew. His true potential even though he had problems with expressive communication.

He’s athletic like yourself which also boosted his self confidence level. He is starting to do well academically and has a memory that amazes me! And the amazing vocabulary is just coming from no where (not from me!).

Thank you Marshall for reinforcing my beliefs that all will be well with lots of love, compassion, patience humour( to lessen the anxiety of always wanting to be perfect) and understanding. Genes may play a factor but a loving environment can overcome everything and rewire and reset destiny.

September 8, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(4) Jayden's mom says:

I’m proud of you! i love the attitude you have. My son was diagnosed a little over one year ago, and he has tackled every challenge head on with passion and intent. (And he was only 2 1/2 when we started this journey to overcome) He is graduating from OT this month. And his only major obstacle left is his speech. I love hearing/ reading other autistic individuals’ stories and how they feel for their families. Call me selfish but it helps me make it longer until he can tell me himself. he has an older sibling too that seemed to understand him before anyone else, myself included. We used to say she was his angel. I think God used her during the beginning to love on Jayden when everyone else regretably was frustrated or confused by his behavior. Now they fight and bicker just like any other siblings! haha!
well thank you for your post… as a parent of a “first words” autistic and I’m sure for others like me … you have given us words to cling to. Never change your attitude toward life! I love it!!

February 17, 2010 at 3:43 am
(5) Julie says:

Thank you for your wonderful story, what an inspiring story.

February 21, 2010 at 2:06 pm
(6) Terry says:

Thank you for sharing your life and what it was like as a child living with Autism. Terry

July 14, 2010 at 6:41 am
(7) Jay Chrobak says:

Marshall,

Thank you for telling your story. It’s a wonderful story that gives hope and courage to others. I wish you continued success!!

September 22, 2010 at 1:33 pm
(8) Sharon says:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are truly an inspiration and have given me hope. My son was diagnosed last week with Autism.

October 22, 2010 at 1:50 am
(9) mary feeley says:

I really needed to read your story Marshall, my little grand daughter is being assessed tomorrow for autism and after reading so much about it i decided to google the success stories to give myself a lift, although my heart is breaking i pray to God her life will be as successful as yours, thank you so much for sharing it with us.

November 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm
(10) Betsy Kise says:

Marshall,

Really enjoyed reading this! Great job! We love you!

Aunt Betsy and Uncle Preston

December 11, 2010 at 11:51 am
(11) suj says:

Great going Marshall !! Your words have been a great source of inspiration for me..God bless you.

January 1, 2011 at 2:49 am
(12) Quesia says:

Thanks so much, you brought tears to my eyes. Your story was very uplifting.

April 25, 2011 at 2:11 pm
(13) Katherine Chapman says:

We have a 11 year old Autistic child.

We have lost our home but it wasn’t just because of paying for all his expensive therapies. Our son did miss the old family home but is adapting to our mobile home with a big yard full of frogs that he loves! Al of his expensive therapies have given him his life back. Without his OT he would never have learned how to ride a bike, tie his shoes, developed his normal muscle strength in his stomach, legs and all parts of his body. Our son is now the leading athlete in his 5th grade class. His dad is a pro athlete.

His social therapy has taught him how to engage and make friends.
His speech has taught him how to talk and understand what he says and hears.

I spent well over $100.000 and invested 40 hours or more a week for over 9 years. Our Insurance would only pay for very little and our school district didn’t do much after a child turned 5.
I see a child who can read, write, spell, run faster than most kids in his class, has more friends than most kids in his school, and who really likes who he is. When my son was born his doctors said he should have died in side of me but, he survived and seems less Autistic everyday and looks more and more like a typical 11 year boy trying to make his mark in this competitive world.
All my love to us parents with children’s Special Needs.
The Best Always,
Kathy

April 25, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(14) Katherine Chapman says:

We have a 11 year old Autistic child.

His social therapy has taught him how to engage and make friends.
His speech has taught him how to talk and understand what he says and hears.

All my love to us parents with children Special Needs.
The Best Always,
Kathy

June 16, 2011 at 3:43 am
(15) Sarah says:

Marshall, you are awesome thanks for your story. Our little guy who is three and a half has just been diagnosed with mild autism spectrum disorder. I love hearing positive stories about autism. Karate is a great idea too. Best of luck to you, and thanks again telling us your story so we can keep having high hopes for our kids.

July 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm
(16) Smita says:

You story is so inspiring. I could not help but shed tears reading about your courage, patience and determination. My 4 year old has severe speech delay. Though the doctors are still trying to determine/rule out autism, I am feeling very anxious. I keep wondering if he will ever talk. You hv given us hope. May God bless you.

August 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm
(17) Mark says:

Smita:
Our son was diagnosed at 3 with autism and had a severe speech delay as well. He also had a lot of negative behaviors. We were CLUELESS on what to do and the local public school was even more so. If your son is diagnosed with autism, you need to get him into an ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) program as soon as you can. To make a long story short: it is amazing what progress these children can make if they get the right intervention (all interventions are NOT equal).
Good luck,